Friday, January 5

Friday Bird Blogging: Great Blue Heron

I've been taking pictures of Great Blue Herons for some time now, and have over sixty posted on my web site.

There's something beautiful about these birds, despite their odd-looking exterior and awkward shape. Seeing them in flight can be breathtaking and watching them hunt for food is like an exercise in Zen meditation-- long periods of wait followed by moments of inspiration and activity.

My experience with herons has changed over time-- before I became familiar with them, I thought of them as something extraordinary and magnificent. Today, I think of them as commonplace, but still magnificent. There's a lot more variation between them than you might think of at first. This particular picture is one of my favorites-- just incredibly rich and vibrant colors in it, and the light capturing the scene of it just perfectly.

No comments: