Thursday, August 9

Friday Bird Blogging: Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

I have to admit: I had no idea what this was when I took the picture. From a distance, I knew it didn't look like our usual (Hairy and Downy) woodpeckers but even though it had a shape like the sapsucker, its markings were all off. It turns out this is a juvenile. We had several in our yard that day and I completely missed them. I'm particularly happy to have gotten this shot because I'd only had one sapsucker picture in the past and it wasn't very good.

I've made a lot of changes to the photo site as of late, mostly in terms of layout. Please, if you have a moment, check it out. Not only is it all reorganized (I moved a lot of the text and info below the fold to focus more on the pictures themselves), I've set up a function where end users can rate the pictures so viewers can see how much other viewers like what's up there. I will eventually set it up so that the pictures can be ordered by rating (highest to lowest) when viewing, so everyone gets to see the highest rated pictures first, so having good data as to who likes what is really helpful for this.

No comments: